Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dress Reconstruction

When we were in Denver, I came across the pieces of a dress in her stash. I think I remember seeing it pre-demolition. The blue part was the body of a muumuu and the white was a ruffle all around the bottom. The straps were somehow affixed at the shoulders. I took it because I love the fabric and it looked like an easy project.

When I got done with the reconstruction, I had this much left as scrap.

I apologize in advance for the bad photography. To make the new top, I used what had been the bottom hem as an elastic casing. I joined the two main body pieces with a slight gather and, fearing that it would be too narrow to go over my shoulders, I installed a short zipper in the left side. (I love my inherited zipper stash.) The bottom was just sergered, pressed up, and stitched in place. The straps are sewn on at the top and bottom of the elastic casing and the buttons are purely ornamental. It fits without having to use the zipper but I suppose it's always better to have the option. Since the gathered portion is looser than I'd originally anticipated, I think it would work as a nursing top even after baby is born.

I think that it ended up being about a three hour project.
The best part is that it even had pockets already built in. Clearly it was meant to be!

No comments: