Sunday, March 29, 2009

Q's New Shirt

Around Christmas time, I got a bug to finally make Q the linen shirt he's always wanted. We never found the perfect pattern but Mom did find a shirt at a thrift store that fit the bill - if it had been about 6" larger in circumference. She was kind enough to mail it out and so it has sat here for the last 3 months, waiting for me to have time and inclination to do something with it. Finally, spring break came.
I ripped out all of the seams from the old shirt and made a muslin practice shirt in a new size. I ran out of muslin though so I cut the last 10" off the bottom since that wasn't the part I was worried about fitting. Q got a little nervous when I had him try on his new muslin "belly shirt" to make sure the fit I'd created at the shoulders and chest worked. He is now baffled by women who can walk around with their tummies exposed - he was a bit discomfited by the breeziness of this style.
With new muslin, I created a proper pattern and made the shirt seen above out of fabric from my stash. I'm not entirely pleased with the drape in the front, but haven't quite decided what I want to do to fix it. I thinking of maybe reshaping the armhole bottoms on the front piece to take up some of the slack that forms a bit of a pucker where the button band ends on the chest. Otherwise, I think the pattern's just about ready to be used for the linen one he wanted originally. Maybe he won't even have to wait for the next school break...:)

No comments: